Vendor Resources

Texas Cottage Food Law

Looking for information regarding permits, licenses, insurance, etc.? Value-Added Vendors may now be covered under the new Texas Cottage Food law specifically enacted to help micro businesses sell their homemade products without the cost of permits, fees and local health department regulations. Only specific homemade foods are covered under this law: The finished product cannot require refrigeration, such as cheesecake, custard, etc. or time / temperature controls to prevent spoilage.

  • Candy
  • Baked goods: cakes, cookies, breads, pies and pastries
  • Coated or uncoated nuts
  • Unroasted nut butters
  • Fruit butters
  • Canned jams and jellies
  • Dehydrated fruits and vegetables, including dried beans
  • Popcorn and popcorn snacks
  • Cereal, including granola
  • Dry mixes
  • Vinegar
  • Cucumber Pickles
  • Mustard
  • Roasted coffee and dry teas
  • Dried herbs and herb mixes

If the product you will be selling fits into the above list, and you do not generate over $50,000 a year in revenue from this business you will need to familiarize yourself with the rules. There is a requirement to obtain a Food Handlers card. There is also a specific format for the label attached to your product. Please refer to the following resource for all the information you will need to stay compliant: Use the Resources tab on this site to obtain links concerning the Food Handler card and Label information along with a wealth of other information and links you will need to know.

Food Handler Certification

If you are selling homemade food under the cottage food law, you need to have a food handler’s certificate from an accredited provider. No ifs, buts, or excuses. The good news is that you can do it online in less than 30 minutes for only $5 at this link:

Sales Tax Information

Please contact the Texas Comptroller Office for detailed sales tax information. If you are selling only tax-exempt items, you are not required to obtain a Sales & Use Tax Permit. Ready-to-eat food is typically taxable even when it is sold “to go.” Tax is not due, however, on bakery items (regardless of size, whether whole pies, for example, or individual portions) when sold without plates or eating utensils.”

The Texas Comptroller has provided links for additional information:

State links for food handler information:

Galveston County Health District Information Page: